Monday 26 May 2014

Book Review: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children



Something a little different for me to blog about but ive wanted to do mini book reviews for quite some time now but never got around to it. I just finished Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children and thought it was perfect for my first little review.

First off let me start by saying this has top ratings and is a new york times best seller, so I had high hopes for it. The story revolves around sixteen year old Jacob who all his life was told stories by his grandfather about the house he grew up in full of peculiar children. These children had special abilities; floating, invisibility, etc. He even had photos as proof. Throughout the book these photos are shown which was a nice way to get you into the story. Until something tragic happens to his grandfather and he is left to find out what the meaning of a letter left for him is, Jacob doesn't believe the stories his grandfather always told him until he goes to the old house and finds the truth for himself. To his surprise he finds the children still alive. From this point of the story I was glued to the book, really intrigued by the story. But it quickly made a turn from being creepy but intriguing to a very mediocre story with an ending that went nowhere and nothing scary happening whatsoever. By the last two chapters I just wanted the book to end already because it wasnt going at all in the direction I had hoped.  
I was a little disappointed in this book but I still give it 4/5 stars because for the most part it did keep me interested, and I must say the photos to go along with it make a really nice touch. Definitely one to read in paperback rahter than an ereader because I dont think it would have had the same effect without the photos. There is a second book that continues the story called Hollow City, but im honestly in no rush to check that one out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

romantica theme by Pink + Lola